National      

Physician burned in fire from hand sanitiser dies

28 Jul 2020 10:04, Somoy English Desk
Physician burned in fire from hand sanitiser dies
Physician burned in fire from hand sanitiser dies

A young physician who along with his doctor wife received serious burn injuries in a fire that originated after a cigarette came in contact with hand sanitiser at their residence in the capital’s Hatirpool area died on Tuesday morning.

Dr Rajib Bhattacharya, 36, a neurosurgeon at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University, succumbed to the burn injuries at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery.

Dr Rajib and his wife Dr Anusua Bhattacharya, 32, a physician of a hospital at Shyamoli, suffered burn injuries in the fire incident at their residence on July 21.

They had been taken to the Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute in the early hours of July 22.

Then its Chief Coordinator Dr Samanta Lal Sen had said round 87 percent of Rajib’s body and 20 percent of his wife’s body were burnt. Rajib had been put on life support.

The victim’s friend Dr Sudip Dey said he came to know that Rajib was pouring hand sanitiser in a smaller bottle from a big one while smoking. 

Suddenly, the fire originated from the sanitizer and engulfed Rajib. Anusua sustained burns as she tried to save her husband and douse the fire.

The couple used to live in a 2nd floor flat behind Eastern Plaza Shopping Mall at Hatirpool along with their only daughter Rajasree Bhattacharya, 6.

Share:      

All News of National

View more

Popular News

Watch Live TV

Somoy TV Live SOMOY YOUTUBE SOMOY YOUTUBE
DOWNLOAD MOBILE APP