An elderly man was killed and around 50 shanties were gutted by a fire in a slum in Chattogram EPZ area early Tuesday.
The deceased was identified as Nawsher. Further details about him could not be known.
Deputy Assistant Director of Chattogram Fire Service Newton Das said the fire erupted at the slum around 3am.
On information, eight firefighting units rushed in and brought the fire under control around 6:30am, he said.
Nawsher could not come out of his shanty as he was elderly and sick, he said, adding that 50 shanties were also gutted by the fire.
The reason behind the fire could not be ascertained immediately although slum dwellers claimed that it originated from an electric short circuit.